SODIUM NITRITE powder/prilled-98,98.5, 99%
It is a colourless liquid that when undiluted is also called glacial acetic acid. It has a distinctive sour taste and pungent smell.
Acetic acid uses: Additive in industrial explosives in Mining.
Other uses include use of acetic acid in the production of vinyl acetate monomer, acetic anhydride and ester production.
Chemical gassing agents -In the case of emulsion explosives, using Acetic acid can accelerate the gassing process. The chemically gassed emulsions may take 40 – 50 minutes for completion of gassing within the blast holes, particularly when the emulsion is colder.
In cases where acetic acid is used, it is added to the emulsion prior to gassing, the desired amount of acid is mixed in the emulsion, before adding the gasser.
A gassing solution comprising sodium nitrite in water together with the selected enol compound and acetic acid is introduced into the emulsion explosive at the blast hole by entraining the gassing solution into a stream of the emulsion explosive using pumps.
The solution pH is an important parameter in the gassing of emulsion explosives due to the high cost associated with acid addition therefore a pH value should preferably be maintained at 4.1 or below.
|Molar mass||60.05 g mol|
|Density||1.049 g cm|
|Melting point||16 to 17 °C; 61 to 62 °F; 289 to 290 K|
|Boiling point||118 to 119 °C; 244 to 246 °F; 391 to 392 K|
|Basicity (pKb)||9.198 (basicity of acetate ion)|
|Viscosity||1.22 mPa s|
|Dipole moment||1.74 D|
- Transport-UN 2789
- Hazard Class No. : 8
- Packing Group: II
- H.S. Code: 2915211900
2- STORAGE & HANDLING
– Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal STORAGE & HANDLING and handling conditions. Refer to SDS sheet
– Acetic acid biodegrades readily under both aerobic and anaerobic conditions.
– Acetic acid does not absorb light with wavelengths >290 nm(4), and is not expected to be susceptible to direct photolysis by sunlight(SRC).
– Incase of spillage neutralize spill with soda ash or lime.
5. Download our Acetic acid msds for more handling information.